How to Irssi
- This is for setting up Irssi on a Mac. Your mileage may vary.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Xcode and have the Command Line Tools installed
- Be using Homebrew, the brilliant package manager for OS X
brew install irssi
Let that er, brew. It’ll take a minute.
Set it up
Create the following file if it doesn’t already exist
Here is a basic example that should get you up and running – replace with your details.
Using the following command from your terminal
CTRL + P and
CTRL + N to cycle through windows – here is list of all the commands.
Scrolling on a Mac is a bit fiddly. If you’re on a laptop (or using a small keyboard) then hold
Shift + fn and use the up/down arrow keys. If you have have a full-size external keyboard then hold
Shift and use the Page Up/Down keys.
Enable auto logging
If you want to keep logs of your chats, etc then you want to
/set autolog on /save
Logs can be found in
Enable terminal notifications
If you want your terminal to notify you on certain conditions then
/set beep_msg_level MSGS NOTICES DCC DCCMSGS HILIGHT /set bell_beeps ON /save
Delete as appropriate. I used
/set beep_msg_level MSGS HILIGHT
Use Screen because awesome
screen to keep a persistent connection to IRC – here is how to do that.
- Detach from your screen session
CTRL + A, D
- Reattach your screen session