I’m not much of a baker, but this recipe turns out decent bread in a relatively short amount of time.
- Self raising flour, 4 1/3 cups
- Fast action dried yeast, 7 grams (or 1 sachet)
- Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar, 1/2 teaspoon
- Water, lukewarm, 2 cups
- Take a large bowl and add 1 cup of flour, yeast, salt, sugar and water then mix with a wooden spoon.
- Cup by cup, add the remaining flour, stirring after each until it all starts to come together.
- Dust the counter with a little flour, and empty the dough out and give it a good knead for 5 minutes or so.
- Put the dough back in the bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to rest for 1 hour.
- Take a heavy casserole pan and dust with flour.
- Give the dough a brief knead, shape into a ball, place in the casserole pan and leave for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225℃.
- On top of the dough ball, score an × with a sharp knife.
- Put the lid on the pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- Take the lid off and bake until the top of the loaf has turned brown.