Having roasted mallard a few times, it wasn’t until I got a good food thermometer that it start coming out medium rare.
- Mallard, brace of
- Salt and pepper
- Take the mallard out of the fridge, unwrap, pat dry and allow to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Season the cavity and skin of each bird generously.
- Put a large, non-stick pan on a medium heat and brown the birds on all sides for a couple of minutes.
- Place the birds in a roasting tray and place in the middle of the oven and turn down to 200°C.
- Roast until the internal temperature reaches 58°C for medium rare. I tend to check the temperature a couple of times and it usually takes ~20 minutes.
- Rest under a sheet of tin foil for ~10 minutes.
Internal temperatures (°C)1
- Rare 54
- Medium Rare 58
- Medium 61
- Medium Well Done 65
- Well Done 72