Curry sauce 1
I make this curry sauce regularly because it’s tasty and I usually have most of the ingredients to hand — it makes a particularly great egg curry.
- Cloves, 4
- Black peppercorns, 8
- Cardamom pods, 5
- Cinnamon bark, 1 stick
- Onion, 3 large, chopped fine
- Garlic paste, 2 tsp
- Ginger paste, 2 tsp
- Chilli powder, 2 tsp
- Ground coriander, 2 tbsp
- Ground turmeric, ½ tsp
- Garam masala, 1 tsp
- Coriander, good handful, chopped fine
- Whole tomatoes, 400g tin, broken up
- Yoghurt, 125g
- Olive oil, a glug
- Water, 300ml
- Salt + pepper
- Add a glug of olive oil to a good-sized pan on a medium heat followed by the cloves, peppercorns, cardamom pods and cinnamon bark and toast for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the onion and a good pinch of salt and fry until the onions are starting to turn.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste, stir well and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, ground coriander and ground turmeric, stir well and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the broken up tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the yoghurt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped coriander followed by the garam masala then stir well.
- Pop a lid on and cook on low for at least 1½ hours.
- Take the lid off and reduce to desired consistency.