I got the cooking times from this Nigel Slater recipe:
Allow 15 minutes in the oven per 450g, plus 20 minutes extra
- Goose, 5.5kg
- Large handful of herbs (I used lemon balm, marjoram and thyme from the garden)
- Onion, 1 large, peeled
- Lemon, 1 large
- The night before, remove the goose from the packaging and the giblets from the cavity. Leave the goose uncovered in the fridge to dry out.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220℃.
- Season the bird cavity and skin generously.
- Stuff the goose with the lemon, herbs and onion.
- Place the roasting rack in a deep roasting tray then take care to locate the goose on the roasting rack so that it fits neatly and isn’t hanging over the edge of the roasting tray.
- Roast for 10 minutes at 220℃ then reduce to 180℃ and roast for 3 hours 13 minutes (3 hours 23 minutes in total).
- Every 45 minutes or so, baste the goose using the fat from the roasting tray, then drain the goose fat using a baster into a large bowl (there is a lot of fat!).
- Once done, loosely cover with tin foil and rest for 45 minutes.