Meat sauce with tomato and red bell pepper
This is a quick meat sauce that I like to stir into linguine and finish with grated mature cheddar.
- Tomato passata, 500g
- Red bell pepper, 1
- Brown onion, 1 large, diced
- Garlic, 3 cloves, minced
- Basil, a good handful
- Beef mince, 300g
- Tomato purée, 1 tbsp
- Salt + pepper
- Roast the bell pepper until the skin is evenly charred. You can do this on the grill, over a gas hob, in an oven, etc. Once charred, pop in a bowl and double wrap with cling film and set aside for 15 minutes to steam.
- Once steamed, remove the skin, seeds and stalk, roughly chop and add to a large mixing bowl with the tomato passata and a good handful of basil leaves. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Put a good-sized pan on a medium-high heat, add a touch of olive oil followed by the onions and fry until they start to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic then fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in the tomato purée and fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in the mince a handful at a time and season well with salt and pepper. Fry for a few minutes until the mince is cooked through.
- Stir in the blended sauce and simmer on a gentle heat for ~30 minutes.