- New potatoes1, 500g, steamed, peeled and cut into 1½ inch chunks
- Frozen spinach, 500g
- Leek, 1, halved lengthways, sliced fine
- Garlic, ½ bulb, minced
- Ground cumin, 1 tbsp
- Ground coriander, 1 tbsp
- Ground turmeric, ½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds, 1 tbsp
- Yellow mustard seeds, 1 tbsp
- Black mustard seeds, 1 tbsp
- Tomato purée, 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil
- Salt + pepper
- Put a good-sized pan on a medium-high heat, add a generous amount of vegetable oil then add the cumin seeds, yellow mustard seeds, black mustard seeds and cook until fragrant.
- Add the leek and garlic followed by a good pinch of salt and pepper then cook until the leek starts to turn translucent.
- Add the ground coriander, ground tumeric and ground cumin then cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the frozen spinach and a good pinch of salt. Put the lid on and cook on a medium heat until the spinach has defrosted (~¼ hour?)
- Add the potatoes and stir gently until well coated in the spice mixture.
- Turn the heat to low and cook until well reduced, stiring occasionally.
Any waxy potato will do. ↩