This veggie chilli takes a bit of effort and has a large number of ingredients – but it’s tasty (and not watery!)
- Mushrooms, ~350g, diced (½ inch)
- Courgette, 1 large, diced (½ inch)
- Celery, 4 ribs, diced (½ inch)
- Leek, 1, halved lengthways, sliced fine
- Red chilli, 2, roughly chopped
- Ancho chilli, 2, roughly chopped and rehydrated
- Brown onion, 1 large, minced
- Red onion, 1 medium, roughly chopped
- Tomato, 1, roughly chopped
- Garlic, ½ bulb, roughly chopped
- Ginger, 4cm, roughly chopped
- Cinnamon bark, 2 sticks
- Caraway seed, 1½ tbsp
- Coriander seed, 1½ tbsp
- Black peppercorn, 8
- Whole tomatoes, 400g tin, broken up
- Mixed beans, 2 400g tins, strained
- Paprika, 2½ tbsp
- Smoked paprika, 2½ tbsp
- Celery salt, 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil, ½ tbsp
- Henderson’s relish
- Tomato purée, 1 tbsp
- Harissa, 1 tbsp
- Coriander, small handful
- Shot of espresso (or 10ml coffee)
- Salt + pepper
- Toast the cinnamon bark, caraway seed, coriander seed and peppercorns in a pan on a medium-high heat until fragrant. Reserve the cinnamon bark.
- Add the caraway seed, coriander seed and peppercorns to the mill followed by the red chilli, ancho chilli, red onion, tomato, garlic, ginger and coriander. Add the vegetable oil, ~50ml of the ancho chilli liquor1 and a good pinch of salt.
- Blend until a fine paste then set aside.
- Put a large pan on a medium-high heat with a glug of vegetable oil. Add the mushroom and courgette with a pinch of salt and cook for 10 minutes until the mushroom and courgette have softened and released a good amount of liquid. Strain the mushroom and courgette and set aside. Reserve the liquid.
- Add a glug of vegetable oil to the pan, add the brown onion and leek then cook until the onion starts to turn translucent. Add the celery followed by a pinch of salt and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato purée and harissa then add the cinnamon bark, paprika, smoked paprika and celery salt. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spice paste. Cook for 10 minutes until fragrant and just starting to stick.
- Add the mushroom, courgette and the beans then stir in the tin of tomatoes. If chilli is looking too dry add some of the mushroom and courgette cooking liquid.
- Bring to a simmer then put the lid on and cook for 1 hour.
- Take the lid off and reduce to your desired consistency.
The water that the ancho chilli rehydrated in. ↩